Monday, September 16, 2013

BLOG BLITZ: Blood and Bone by Candace Osmond INTERVIEW

Blood and Bone
The Iron World Series
Book Two
By Candace Osmond
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
ISBN: 9781301362028
ASIN: B00ED406KI
Number of pages: 250 roughly
Word Count: 74,960
Cover Artist: Corey Majeau from Coris Designs

Available Here

Book Description:

The stakes are high in the second installment of The Iron World Series as Avery Quinn decides which path her life will take. Become a vampire and be with Jack forever, or pledge herself to the Fey and help save Faerie from the horrible Queen Mabry?

The more she thinks about it the more she wants to remain human. But as she sinks further into the magical world she has come to love, Avery realizes that remaining human is next to impossible, especially when a dark king sets his sights on her. To make matters worse, a secret society of shape shifters have sworn themselves as Avery’s enemy all because of a certain classmate with a caustic temperament.


With a mythical war brewing and Evaine close on her heels, Avery must decide who to give her humanity to before it’s too late
Change has an irrevocable impact on the mind, body and soul. To the fearful its threateningit means there’s a possibility that things could get worse. To the hopeful, however, it’s encouraging because it means things could get better.
Was I fearful or was I hopeful?
I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling in my sunlit bedroom and pondered about that. To most people this wouldn’t be so stressful. To most people change meant a new hair color or a new job.
But I realized a while ago—I am not most people.
I had been left to make a choice that was so life changing that it would alter me completely, forever. I could choose to become a vampire and gain the strength I desperately needed to protect myself. With this choice I could spend an eternity of nights in the arms of the most perfect creature because I too, would be a perfect creature.
Or, I could choose to pledge myself to a monarch, a leader of the fey. Become a child of magic, wonder and beauty and still possess the strength I need for my defense.
Or door number three, choose not to choose. I could remain human, as I’d lived comfortably for the past eighteen years now. But, to choose nothing would still be a choice, and would determine the path my life would take. None of my options guaranteed a smooth path. But I had a lingering a feeling that, no matter what I chose, the path that was unwinding in front of me was going to be very, very rocky.
Can you please share with us a little about yourself?
Well, let's see. I'm a mom to a pretty cool little three year old, I got engaged last summer, I drink way to much coffee for the average human being, and I LOVE to read. (No surprise there)

Have you always wanted to be an author?
Maybe not an author, but definitely a writer. I've always loved to write. In school, essays and other written projects excited me to no end.

Can you share with us your typical writing day.  Is there anything you have to have while writing?
I MUST have coffee and some kind of crunchy snack. If I have those two things then I'm set, I can write anywhere as long as there's a plug for my lap top. I write in spurts. As a scene or image comes to mind I spill it from my fingers and then take a break. Perhaps for more coffee lol

What would you say is the most challenging or rewarding part of writing?
For sure, the most challenging part of writing is editing. Even with a professional editor, I end up re-reading the whole story about a dozen times before it gets published. Then I start to second guess everything because I've read it so much. Once I manage to get past that, the rewarding part comes when I receive reader feedback. It warms my heart and always makes my day.

Can you please tell us about your latest book?
My latest published book is the sequel to Iron & Wine. It's called Blood & Bone and is full of magic, ancient secrets, and tons of blood. Hence the name. It still follows Avery Quinn's crazy life as she struggles to hold on to her humanity while helping her mythical friends save the world they love.

How did you come with the idea for this story?
I had a really boring desk job and an over active imagination. Plus, I've always been obsessed with fairy tales and monsters. Iron World is sort of a fantasy of mine. I've always wished that magical creatures would start popping up in my life.

Can you share with us your current work in progress?
Besides the final book in the Iron World Series, I'm working on a New Adult thriller about a secret society of organ harvesters.

Who are some of your favorite authors?
Stephenie Meyer, Melissa Marr, Julie Kagawa, Cassandra Clare, and Suzanne Collins.

Do you feel that any of your favorite authors have inspired your writing style?
I tend to toss back and forth between Melissa Marr and Cassandra Clare. I love the way they can weave worlds and the characters that grow inside them. Whenever I get writers block I just lose myself in one of their books. They inspire me.

Open your book to a random page and please reads us a few lines.
I raced down the sidewalk with no idea of where I was going. My face was drenched and colored with melted mascara, salted from the tears pouring out my eyes. I could barely control the gurgling sobs that seemed to erupt all the way from my stomach and I held my arms tightly around me in an attempt to hold myself together. Every day, it was a constant pattern of eat, sleep, cry, fear, cry, maybe a little more sleep. Maybe there was a reason humans didn’t mix with the mythical world. We’re too emotional. Too fragile, inside and out.

What is in your To Read Pile that you are dying to start or upcoming release you can’t wait for?
Right now I'm about to head out and get Convergent by Veronica Roth. But I'm patiently waiting for the final book in the Mortal Instruments series to come out, City of Heavenly Fire.

Have you ever used anyone from your real life encounters in any of your books?
All of the time. Even names are inspired from people I know or have met. For example, the bond between Avery and her best friend is derived from the bond I share with my best friend.

What was the most surprising thing you learned about yourself while you were writing?
My determination. I had never really stuck to anything major in my life. I like to start projects and then set them aside once I get bored, never to touch them again. But, here I am, writing the third book to my YA Fantasy series.
Born in 1985 as Candace Osmond in North York Ontario, I began to travel with my parents at the very young age of four years old. I had lived all over Canada and seen everything my country has to offer, from the enchanting shores of Newfoundland to the gigantic snowcapped mountains of British Columbia all by the time I was ten. I did, however, spend most of my life in Eastern Canada where I was surrounded by folklore and legends, not knowing how they would shape my personality and imagination for the rest of my life.

Being the only girl of my age in a small group of kids, in an even smaller town, left me spending most of my time by myself and, in result, letting my imagination take over. I would sit by the shore and dream up stories of mermaids and other fantastic creatures to pass the time. Coming from a family with writers and artists dispersed throughout, it was only natural that I spend my time writing, drawing and reading. I dreamed of becoming nothing more than an artist, a creator of any kind. By the age of eleven, I spent most of my waking hours scribbling down short stories, poems and anything else I could think of, while adding my own personal illustrations. By the age of fourteen, I had won numerous local and minor arts and writing competitions.

I excelled at anything art and literature related so, naturally, I planned to attend university for nothing more or less than that. In 2003 I planned to attend university for Creative Writing and Literary Studies. But, with the fear that I would spend all my time and money on an education and end up in a field that I may very well struggle to succeed in, I backed out and attended school for Design instead. Now, a successful Designer specializing in interiors, I met a man and fell in love. His passion and talent for art far exceeds my own, but he motivated me and awakened my old habits of staying up late and waking up early to scribble down dreams and ideas before I had forgotten them and they disappeared forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment